Speaking of crazy, is it true that Melanie Joy is now being considered a "new welfarist" by some abolitionists after having written An Introduction to Carnism? I haven't read it myself yet, but that would seem like a stretch. Even if the main focus of animal use in her book is on eating meat, surely it's recognized that while she's dealing with one form of speciesism, she's not denying there are others? Anyway, Top Ten, take it away!
Top Ten Carnist Phrases Or Excuses That Drive Me Crazy:
10. "I respect your personal choice, so you have to respect mine."
9. "But what would happen to all the animals otherwise?"
8. "It's not natural because you have to supplement with vitamin B12."
7. "The proof is in our teeth."
6. "Our brains wouldn't have gotten so big without meat."
5. "God said we could."
4. "But plants have feelings too!"
3. "If lions can kill gazelles..."
2. "top of the food chain"
1. "circle of life"
Obviously there are more than ten annoying excuses and phrases and no doubt you have your own favourites (let us know in the comments!), but the above ten seem to rankle me the most. Or at least, the quickest. The last two in particular really bother me because they're lazy clichés that folk frequently spew out to justify their habits so that they don't have to spend any real time contemplating why they do what they do.
For a complete dismantling of the above lame phrases and excuses (plus many more) check out Vegan Poet's comprehensive responses to typical comments so that you'll always know how to reply to those still not vegan yet. I'd do it myself, but I'm lazy too. ;)