Actually, that's putting it politely, but I didn't want to start by swearing. And while I don't want to feel hatred towards fellow human animals, I ain't feelin' much love today either. In fact, I'm sick and tired. Sick of people, who, for instance:
- find trapping fun
- consider hunting a sport (dismayed by the increase in women who hunt)
- see nothing wrong with keeping other animals in captivity
- get off on having sex with animals
- hurt or kill family pets as part of domestic abuse
- expose children to the hurting of family pets as part of domestic abuse
- breed animals
- wear animals
- raise animals for others to eat
- eat animals while identifying themselves as animal lovers
- calmly mention the LD50 test as if there's nothing wrong with it
- experiment on animals because they're not like us, and because they are like us (talk about having it both ways)
- call themselves scientists yet ignorant of their own bias and subjectivity
- stage dogfights, cockfights, bear fights, horse fights, chimpanzee fights (is there any other animal humans won't use to do their fighting for them?)
- call themselves Christian while engaging in all manner of animal abuse
I'm also fed up with:
- any organized religion that promotes human supremacy
- all societal institutions that profit off of animal use and abuse
- all political and economic systems that promote and help keep animal exploitation in place
- extreme human-centricity not regarded as eccentric when other animal lives are at stake
- being accused of shoving veganism down someone's throat while animal use and abuse gets shoved down MY throat every time I read a grocery flyer, turn on the TV, or even walk out the door
- and on and on and on and on...
Plus I'm tired of the excuses. Oh, but they just don't know. Oh, but we were ignorant once too. It's habit. Tradition. Culture. Religion. Common practice. Deeply ingrained and part of our social fabric. All true perhaps, but people aren't stupid. Just how much information do they need? How many millions of pamphlets do we have to distribute already? And how many billions more animals will be sacrificed before humans finally get their shit together?
Bah, I'm sick of it! Because truth be told many people DO know, but don't give a crap. People as top of the food chain? Bottom of the moral chain is more like it. I'm tired of the ignorance, stupidity and apathy. The willful disregard and callous contempt. The human animal is indeed the cruelest beast of all, and we're really not that civilized or advanced. I'm also tired of being polite about it. Or patient. And for what? What is THAT accomplishing?
Nope, not feeling particularly friendly toward humans today. Jesus died for our sins? Please. The way we treat other species is the biggest sin of all, and no human or deity can wash that away. I WAS going to work on my "why aren't more Christians vegan" post this weekend, but I'm not in the mood. But if you want to read something, and perhaps something a little less ranty and more nuanced, you can always read my past thoughts about Good Friday and Easter Sunday until my mood improves. Or not, snort.